Wow, August 2023 already.
Life moves fast. Between work, family, and other responsibilities, it's easy to get caught up in the day-to-day busyness and not pause to reflect on where we are, how far we've come, and where we hope to go. But taking time for self-reflection is so important.
Scrolling through social media, I recently came across a post that prompted me to stop and reflect for a moment on the major changes in my life over the past several years. Reflecting on the meaningful milestones and growth experiences gave me a renewed sense of gratitude.
In the past 5 years:
- I've been blessed with two beautiful children who continue to fill my life with joy as I watch them grow and discover the world.
- My family moved back to my hometown village, close to the kids grandparents, into a lovely house with a garage where I store my tools and bikes.
- I was finally able to purchase a Seat Leon Cupra, the car I've wanted since I was 17.
- Professionally, I leveled up to a Lead Software Engineer role at one of Scotland's largest news websites. For nearly two years, I solo led the development before being joined by another talented engineer. We have a lot of responsibilities but we are given space, can work from wherever we want and and lead our own projects - I'm loving that.
- My wife and I have gone from stength to strength too. We've built a strong foundation of understanding that has allowed us to grow together as a team as we navigate life and parenthood.
Taking time to reflect on these major life changes and milestones has reminded me to be intentional about pausing for gratitude. So often we get caught up in chasing the next goal that we forget to appreciate how far we've come. Reflection provides perspective and helps ground us in the present moment. The practice can illuminate strengths to celebrate, areas for self-improvement, and dreams to aspire to next. Life is a journey of continuous growth, and reflection allows us to be mindful of the meaningful progress we’ve made.